About our Building

Building Church at Holy Trinity!

It's always good to remember that the word 'church' applies first to the people of God gathered together before it applies to any building. But we are so grateful for a wonderful building in which we can meet and worship and learn together, and from which we offer a fantastic range of hospitality to our community.

Sitting almost on top of the Coast Road (A1058), Holy Trinity is a highly visible landmark pointing Jesmond residents, and Newcastle commuters, to God. Not as old as it may first appear, Holy Trinity was part of the Jesmond Church Extension Scheme in the early 1900s which was a missionary endeavour to meet the needs of the fast growing population of Newcastle at the time.

In 1905 the chancel area, together with the organ chamber, vestry and side chapel, were consecrated as Holy Trinity Church, with the temporary addition of an iron nave for seating the congregation (the 'Tin Tabernacle'). Following the First World War, the foundation stone for a permanent nave and tower was laid in October 1920, and two years later the church building recognisable today was completed. On 24th September 1922 the Bishop of Newcastle consecrated and dedicated the 'War Memorial Church of the Holy Trinity' witnessed by various naval and military personnel, including a guard of honour formed by the crew of a battleship moored on the River Tyne especially for the occasion. The completed church was the gift of a ship owning family, Robert and Anne Dalgliesh, as a personal thanksgiving that none of their family had died during the Great War. There are still signs of the strong naval and military associations in the stained glass windows, many of which are dedicated to different parts of the armed forces, including the Merchant Navy, and in the scale model replica of a warship with sits atop the spire as a weather vane.

The completed nave could sit 650 people in rows of wooden chairs, rather than fixed pews. The choice of chairs rather than fixed pews has been a lasting blessing. It has offered future congregations an unanticipated flexibility in the use of the nave space which has been enthusiatically embraced over the years. Holy Trinity has hosted a variety of events including: ceilidhs; cafés; fashion shows; theatre performances; fair trade markets; holiday clubs; Messy Church; and even live coverage of the London 2012 Olympics. 

Over the years, various changes have been made to the interior of the building, including: a new platform area at the front; a reordered side chapel space; modern toilet facilities in the choir vestry area; and a servery for refreshments in the north west corner of the nave. Despite these adaptations the interior of the church remains largely unchanged. All our facilities continue to be maintained to a high standard so that the building continues to serve and enhance the worship and mission of Holy Trinity in the community and beyond.

We are grateful to our forebears for the legacy of a church building built for mission which continues to help the current generation of God's people grow and build church today.